- Education Bachelor Degree
- Application Closing Date: 5.10.2023
- Adıyaman, Malatya
WASH Assistants – 4 positions (Adıyaman, Malatya), (National Position)
Concern Worldwide is a non-governmental, international, humanitarian organization dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries. Concern has been working in Turkey since August 2013 and currently looking for qualified Four (4) positions WASH Assistant (National Position).
Job Title WASH Assistant
Location Adıyaman 2 , , Malatya 2 , Turkey
Reporting line WASH Officer
Contract Length until 31/12/2023
Vacancy Number: TR2023-014
This is a 4 months role in Adiyaman or Malatya,Türkiye with occasional travel to other cities within Türkiye with a net salary range between $1157- $1204 per month. The salary range provided in this job posting does not constitute any legally binding obligation or undertaking by Concern Türkiye, and final salary amount will be decided mutually by Concern and the employee, which may be lower or higher than the abovementioned salary band.
Job Purpose: The WASH Assistant will assist WASH Officer and WASH PM in overseeing technical aspects of Concern’s WASH emergency and early recovery programme in Adıyaman and Malatya provinces. WASH Assistant will ensure compliance with humanitarian standards and delivering high quality WASH outputs in accordance with programme plans and targets. This shall be done under supervision of WASH Officer, WASH PM, WASH Coordinator, in collaboration/consultation with Area Manager, Procurement and MEAL departments. Key activities include providing technical oversight and quality control in technical assessments, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of hardware component, ensuring programme is delivering as per international and Concern emergency standards, supporting procurement matters for programme implementation.
Programme Planning and Design
- Support WASH Officer by conducting site assessment to collect relevant data for design of WASH infrastructure activities. Ensure participation of stakeholders (local authorities, local partners, beneficiaries) in all stages of the project cycle, whilst key lessons learnt are captured.
- Support WASH Officer in conducting WASH needs assessments in remote locations, through participation in short response missions.
- Support WASH Officer to respond to urgent WASH needs in remote locations through direct implementation of water supply and sanitation infrastructures.
- Assist WASH Officer in conducting detail technical assessments to enable him/her to preparation of designs, technical drawings, BoQs for various WASH infrastructure activities.
- Support WASH Officer in preparation of Scope of Works and Bills of Qualities for implementation of WASH activities including rehabilitation and construction of WASH infrastructure as required.
- Provide on-site technical support and oversight to contractors and crews involved in implementation of all water supply and sanitation infrastructure ensuring compliance with minimum SPHERE standards and Concern’s WASH Minimum Engineering Requirements and Standard.
- Support WASH Officer in construction contract management, technical quality, policy and procedural compliance and work plan supervision of all construction undertaken by Concern, including but not limited to water supply and sanitation facilities.
- Ensure that all construction materials are accounted for, tally with request orders, and that documentation of all release of these items is compliant with the logistics policy and procedures (procurement, warehousing and stock control)
- Ensure minimum standards of technical quality are adhered to in all engineering activities and interventions and that they are technically and culturally appropriate, suitable for the given emergency state, realistic and on budget.
- Ensure implementation of all water engineering works including sanitation facilities adhere to Government, SPHERE and Concern standards.
- Support WASH Officer and work with the relevant departments on technical aspects of the WASH programme.
- Support WASH Officer in monitoring the programme activities and capacity building of Concern implementing partners.
- Conduct frequent field monitoring visits including monitoring of WASH program activities implemented by local partners.
- Responsible for line management of contractors, construction supervisors, Plumber, masons etc.
- Ensure contractors are compliant and fully understand their obligations when signing the programme participant protection policy (P4) and where non-compliance is suspected, to inform a member of the SMT so that the appropriate action can be taken by the Country Director.
- Share relevant information in a timely manner with all Concern’s WASH programme team.
- Represent Concern in meetings with local authorities, local partners, other actors and communities at district and province levels.
Minimum skills and experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor degrees in (Civil/Water/Environmental) Engineering, with at least six months experience or Diploma in Civil/Water/Construction management and at least 2 years relevant professional experience.
- Relevant professional experience includes working with a construction company or NGO implementing water and sanitation infrastructure projects.
- Practical experience in conducting appraisal/assessment and construction management of Water and sanitation infrastructure projects.
- Experience in construction site management and training of skilled labours and contractors on construction practices and technical standards
- Sound IT skills, including Word, Excel and AutoCAD and other engineering software.
We would also like
- Familiarity with sphere Standards
- Experience of work in camp setting, informal settlements in the country.
- Experience working in an emergency context will be an advantage.
- Good command of verbal and written English and Turkish as well as strong analytical, organizational and people skills.
The expected competencies include
- A strong team player, ability to work and remain calm under pressure; good construction resources management skills
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Empathy with Concern’s goals and a commitment to capacity building, protection and participation
- Ability to work on own initiative with minimal supervision and adaptable to changing needs and situations
- Flexible, reliable and adaptable to changing environment.
Experience in and willingness to travel and be deployed to remote districts in other provinces. If you feel that your qualifications and experience match our requirements, and you share a commitment to Concern’s values, please create your resume to apply for the role. Please note that applications received other than the online portal will not be considered. If you encounter technical problems submitting your application online, please use the contact form on job portal.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview;
- Please note that both CV and Cover letter should be in English;
- Application Closing Date: 05.10.2023
Equal opportunities: Concern values diversity in the workplace and is a committed equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of gender, race, family or marital status, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, class, caste or religion.
Safeguarding at Concern: Code of Conduct and its Associated Policies
Concern has an organisational Code of Conduct (CCoC) with three Associated Policies; the Programme Participant Protection Policy (P4), the Child Safeguarding Policy and the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Policy. These have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants from exploitation, and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, consultants, visitors to the programme and partner organisation, and the standards of behaviour expected of them. In this context, staff have a responsibility to the organisation to strive for, and maintain, the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct in their workplace in accordance with Concern’s core values and mission. Any candidate offered a job with Concern Worldwide will be expected to sign the Concern Staff Code of Conduct and Associated Policies as an appendix to their contract of employment. By signing the Concern Code of Conduct, candidates acknowledge that they have understood the content of both the Concern Code of Conduct and the Associated Policies and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these policies. Additionally, Concern is committed to the safeguarding and protection of vulnerable adults and children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with vulnerable adults and children are recruited by us for such roles. Subsequently, working with Concern is subject to a range of vetting checks, including criminal background checking.Apply